Saturday, February 27, 2010

Slow and Steady as She Goes







Well, I did it. I am a 50k finisher. I am not exactly sure what my overall feeling about the race is. As of right now, as I sit here in pain 4 hours post finish, I am thinking that long distance running is for the birds. It was about 7 miles too long, meaning, the excitement of the race atmosphere and seeing 20,000 runners wore off about 7 miles before the finish line. Those last miles were pretty brutal. Up to mile 22 I was really enjoying being out there; extremely happy with how I felt; knew I was on pace to finish in 5 hours or less; and had the great company of my friend, Nancy. At the Ultra turn off at mile 23.5, we had a 6 mile stretch on the trinity trail that was very lonely and difficult. I decided it was time to break out the ipod and do a little walking. I walked for at least one minute at each mile marker during that stretch. Once I made it back to the main course with the marathoners I just scooted (can't really call it running at that point) on in to my finish in 5:01. I am happy with my time, for sure, but I am going to pay for it for the next few days! I can barely walk and it usually gets worse for me before it gets better. I am happy that I did it. Not sure if I will ever do it again.

**the funniest poster I saw on the course read: "That's not sweat, it is your fat cells crying"

1 comment:

  1. This is something way, way beyond any of my understanding, but how do you say that long distances aren't your thing when you run marathons? In my mind, it just seems like a few more miles, but I guess those few extra miles can make you or break you. As always, I think you are totally amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete